Re: CULT:My iris changed color!!!

On Jun 28, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:

It's even possible that a bird can drop a seed! Deer eats seed pod, drops
undigested seed, bird picks up seed, drops seed!
Or, as was the case in my garden this spring, Bambi can snatch a rz out of the ground, carry it a few feet, then drop it into a different area of the bed. I could NOT for the life of me figure out how Midnight Mist ended up between two crowded clumps of different SDBs a row over from where it was originally planted ... until I remembered all the deer tracks through my beds earlier this spring. Yep, Nature's own gardeners!

However, Anner makes an important point. I believe reports of irises changing color have as much or more to do with the context of the reports themselves as with what is being reported. For example, if an inexperienced iris gardener has a small bed which contains only a couple of small clumps of unhappy, minimally-blooming purple irises, and then a single clump of a very vigorous, floriferous white appears and blooms multiple stalks with lots of flowers open at once during a season when the unhappy purples decide not to bloom at all, the inexperienced gardener will likely view the event as "the entire bed of irises TURNED WHITE!".

It is important, if one is going to try to take such claims seriously at all, to evaluate the entire circumstance to try to determine what, exactly, has occurred in the bed. If a bed of 50 vigorous and floriferous clumps of purple irises with a history of reliable annual bloom and NO herbicide use with a mile radius suddenly turns into a sea of hundreds of white iris flowers with nary a purple in sight one spring, that would certainly merit some serious investigation.

normal annual precipitation 26-27"