Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom?

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom?
  • From: "Dave Silverberg" <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 00:32:01 -0800

Anner: I have found (for me) that the best application of alfalfa pellets is mixing it in the soil at transplanting time. The watering-in procedure after transplanting begins the release of the micro-nutrients and the triacontanol (growth stimulant). Early on in my use of alfalfa pellets I just sprinkled a handful over the clump. I found that the pellets disintegrated into a mush over the rhizome, became mouldy and had an umpleasant odor not to mention the unsightly mess. As Linda has mentioned do NOT use rabbit pellets. Besides the salt that is added there is cracked corn included and there is something (?) in the corn germ that is detrimental to the growth of the iris. There are those who prefer to use alfalfa tea as a foliar spray or as a drench but it seems to me to be a great deal more work than just mixing the pellet into the soil at planting time.

Dave Silverberg