Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:30:26 -0400

Hmm... well, that depends on weather (both antecedent and current), prior fertilization, mulch and weeds.

If it's been raining a lot since the last time I fertilized and there's a lot of low-nitrogen (i.e. wood chips) mulch out there, I'd probably use 10-10-10 (or higher, depending on price).

With less rain and not as much low N mulch, I like 5-15-10 or whatever high phoshorus fertilizer I can get. Hard to find here, so usually get 6-12-12. Sometimes the Co-Op has some extra from a batch of tobacco fertilizer they've made up in a special order for someone local.

I haven't had a soil test done in ages, but when I used to do it regularly, the results suggested adding Boron, at least for corn. So I figure the irises can use the extra boron from the alfalfa pellets. Easier than adding a teaspoon of borax every thousand feet of row!

Now that I think about it, I guess my druthers would be plain ol' Miracle Gro (or similar) with trace elements. Too much trouble for the garden rows, but that's what I use on potted irises.

<What sort of N-P-K do you favor for this
application, given your 'druthers? >

Linda Mann
fertile, organic, gravelly loam
atypical soil in TN