Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom?

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:36:05 -0400

I tried putting several inches of alfalfa pellets in the bottom of a window box into which I was lining out seedlings & posted a note re: same.

Waltah sent me a note warning about the whole concoction heating up and cooking my seedlings. I checked and sure enough, it was getting quite warm. Solved the problem by putting the box in the shade and flushing it a couple of times a day with cold water till it quit "cooking".

So, yes, if you buried a thick enough layer to ferment, and your plants aren't cultivars that enjoy the extra heat (see Chuck's comments about IMM), then it could be a problem if you planted immediately.

<Do you think it is possible to use too much alfalfa?

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA>