Re: HYB: genetics (was flatties)

  • Subject: Re: HYB: genetics (was flatties)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:52:14 -0400

Thanks for the discussion about F1, F2 & probabilities of getting several recessives combined in one plant.

Thinking out loud....

If we "pretend" that "summer" rebloom is just one recessive gene (ignoring all the other growth habits that have to be there), then combining "summer" rebloom with interesting/attractive color patterns with better form would be the same problem as with the flatties.

My plan has been to cross two F1s from different genetic lines, trying to focus on improved form in the F1s. But, from what you've posted, Chuck, if neither F1 "summer" blooms here, the probability of realistically getting <anything> that summer blooms might drop to near zero here in the F2s. Since I'm also insisting on super survival genes.

However, crossing the "F2"'s from that cross back to the original reblooming parent (using the rebloomer as pod parent) would improve the odds back to a more reasonable level.

I have a few F1 X F1 with different modern formed on one side, same summer bloom parent on the other; a few F1 x F1 sib crosses, only one seedling bloomed so far; and a few F1 crossed back to the "summer" blooming pod parent, none bloomed so far.

I knew this project was a long shot, going to take a long time and a <lot> of seedlings, plus a lot more good daubing seasons than I'm likely to get here.

I think I'll delete your post, Chuck. Too discouraging to see the actual probabilities! ;-(