RE: HIST: Dr. Bernice

  • Subject: RE: HIST: Dr. Bernice
  • From: Laetitia Munro <lmmunro@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:18:06 +0000

Anner (and all)
    I perhaps may be the 'culprit' for releasing this cultivar into the
general iris community. I discovered it at Presby in 2001 or so, never having
seen a picture of it or description from any historic iris fancier and
distributed it to other iris collectors, some of whom have grown it for sale
or trade.
I have submitted the picture to Phil Edinger who had vetted it around 2002. I
don't know if I can attach a photo here but if not, please write to me
personally at Lmmunro@hotmail.com and I have plenty of pictures of it to share
(to make sure we are talking about the same thing)

Now...on to your second question, description of the growing habits and
flower. I would say it is a shortish growing iris, perhaps along the lines of
MTB height (in NJ maybe 20" if its happy, and I suspect it could grow taller
elsewhere) but its leaves are not slender and delicate like the MTB's. It
clumps well and is quite floriferous. The flowers themselves are small, maybe
the size of Quaker Lady, but it gives the appearance of a sturdier flower that
keeps its form well. It is a variegata of rich maroon falls and a muted old
gold standard sometimes tinged with a hint of rose. I think its interesting
because there are no others quite like it in trade, although I do have another
unknown very similar variegata of identical color with much fewer haft marks
and not quite so vigorous.
Is it worth bothering to give it some of your garden space? Only you can
decide if its worth it. It does NOT blow your socks off, but if you like the
historic look, it holds up well, is not a fusspot, and its colors are rather
rich looking, with good substance, and at least for me, I do enjoy it and
think it attractive.