Re: HIST: Dr. Bernice

In a message dated 6/1/2009 6:21:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmmunro@hotmail.com writes:

I  perhaps may be the 'culprit' for releasing this cultivar into the
general  iris community. I discovered it at Presby in 2001 or so, never
seen  a picture of it or description from any historic iris fancier  and
distributed it to other iris collectors, some of whom have grown it for
or trade.
Well, don't fall on your sword yet, Laetitia. 'Dr. Bernice' was  already in
circulation well before that, apparently. It appears on the  1995 HIPS
Databank listing, and on the previous edition of the listing as well.  On
neither was it reported as being grown by only one person. Which means,  people in
HIPS were growing it within recent memory.
<<I have submitted the picture to Phil Edinger who had vetted  it around
2002. I
don't know if I can attach a photo here but if not, please  write to me
personally at Lmmunro@hotmail.com and I have plenty of pictures  of it to
(to make sure we are talking about the same  thing)
Laurie Frazer's photo on the HIPS page is the one which occasions the
question. Is that the same iris you have been passing around? Mrs.  Hess lists
it in her catalog, and I assumed that was the  source, albeit it possibly at
some remove, of the iris in the picture.  It sounds like I need to ask Mrs.
Hess about the provenance of her clone.

<<Now...on to your second question, description of the growing  habits and
flower. I would say it is a shortish growing iris, perhaps along  the lines
MTB height (in NJ maybe 20" if its happy, >>
Thank you very much. The Cornell 112 only grants it 74 points, and says
nothing about stature.
<<Is it worth bothering to give it some of your garden space? Only  you can
decide if its worth it.
A truer word was never spoken.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA