Re: HYB: self incompatibility (was PHOTOS striped standard MTB see...

  • Subject: Re: HYB: self incompatibility (was PHOTOS striped standard MTB see...
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:23:20 -0400

You are quite right Anner!

Some iris have these self incompatible genes and some don't.

I have made a large number of self crosses and a good number take. I havn't kept track, but it isn't too much different in terms of percentage takes then regular crosses. If you look in the R&I books you will see lots of sib crosses. Sib to sib crosses would have a a lot of the incompatibility problems that selfing would have, so the takes show that the self incompatibility gene is not likely present in those plants. A good number of bee pods turn out to be self crosses

By the way, I made 25 crosses today ( a lot of SDBs have damaged blooms from late frosts and over winter damage, so not many plants to choose from) and five of those were self crosses. Sometimes I self good seedlings just to check on presence of self incompatibility genes.

Chuck Chapman