Re: HYB: self incompatibility

  • Subject: Re: HYB: self incompatibility
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 07:13:00 -0400

I grow a number of bee pods, and from some SDB pods have gotten some great seedlings, such as Crystal Carpet which won Gold Medal in German International Iris Competition in 2006, SDB class.

Most SDB seed pods seem to be crosses between different cultivars. TBs don't make very many bee pods, so my experience with that is more limited. Northward Ho is one TB that often produces bee pods. I have grown one pod from this that is pretty obviously a selfed plant. Seedlings looked very much like NH. I have seen a great seedling grown by someone else from a bee pod of NH, it was also obviously a bee pod. HN is a summer rebloomer from Lloyd Zurbrig. Both of the seedlings were summer rebloomers ,and plicatas, like NH. This double recessive is pretty obviously a selfed pod. Owyhee Desert, and its sibblings are from a bee pod, that seem vey, very likely a selfed pod from Wild Jasmine. Again, as we have double recessive traits. And we know the odds on those.

So it would seem bee pods on TBs are probably more likely to be bee pods then not. Can't give any hard data, just some anecdotal evidence. Perhaps some others have some experience they could share.

Chuck Chapman