Re: HYB: self incompatibility

  • Subject: Re: HYB: self incompatibility
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:59:27 -0400

Interesting.

Because successful crosses here are hard to come by a lot of years, I've saved and planted quite a few bee pods.

Some have been on cultivars that haven't cooperated by producing pollen, so those are clearly not selfs.

Some have been on cultivars where I attempted crosses with no luck & seedlings have looked suspiciously like they came from the added pollen. The HELEN COLLINGWOOD X bee, with attempted ROMANTIC EVENING pollen on nearby but earlier blooms, sure look like they are HC X RE. I assumed the little pollen scavengers moved on to the next bloom, taking some pollen with them. Carefully sealed in a little plastic container to keep it dry and viable ;-)

Other bee babies have been different enough from known parent and grandparents that I've assumed somebody else donated the pollen - one that comes to mind is a group of seedlings from one of the cream (IMM X CSONG) seedlings - a dark red, some pastel browns with form and "presence" not particularly reminiscent of the parent. I guess they <could> be selfed, but seems unlikely - I'd expect mostly white seedlings from a self of this one or its sibs. ?

Another batch of bee babies from the lavender self (IMM X CSONG) probably are selfed, now that I think about it - they've all been white or pale yellow, & other traits of stalk, form etc could easily be a 're-mix' of grandparent genes.

Ridiculously robust and not a rebloomer among them.

Linda Mann
TN