RE: Re: HYB: self incompatibility: Balloon Pods

  • Subject: RE: Re: HYB: self incompatibility: Balloon Pods
  • From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@q.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:14:12 -0700

Hello, Anner,
No, I haven't done any scientific experiments about this.  It's just from
casual observation.  I have had several favorite irises for years that I
have never been able to set pods on.  I have noticed that they never have
either bee pods or balloon pods, always nice clean stalks.  On the other
hand, my most fertile pod parents also have the most balloon pods.
Therefore when I see one of my seedlings is producing balloon pods, I have
never had trouble setting good seed pods on it myself.  I have come to use
that as a marker for an easy parent; I don't say a good parent.  The kids
may be terrible.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9