RE: Re: HYB: Balloon Pods (was Self Incompatibility)

  • Subject: RE: Re: HYB: Balloon Pods (was Self Incompatibility)
  • From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@q.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:14:11 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Linda
Mann
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:59 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: self incompatibility

Linda writes:
"Some have been on cultivars where I attempted crosses with no luck &
seedlings have looked suspiciously like they came from the added pollen.
  The HELEN COLLINGWOOD X bee, with attempted ROMANTIC EVENING pollen on
nearby but earlier blooms, sure look like they are HC X RE.  I assumed
the little pollen scavengers moved on to the next bloom, taking some
pollen with them.  Carefully sealed in a little plastic container to
keep it dry and viable ;-)"

I have had similar odd experiences.  I have pollinated the top blossom, and
it didn't take, but one lower down on the stalk made a pod, when nothing
else on the clump did.  I have wondered, "Did some of that pollen drift down
there?"  Unfortunately, I didn't plant the seed to see.  I don't have time,
space or energy to play with unknown seedlings.

Francelle Edwards