Re: Re: HYB: self incompatibility

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: self incompatibility
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 09:03:39 -0400

<<I'm tempted to use the wood to build an ark. >>
Many of us are in the same ark!??I beg Mother Nature's forgiveness for whatever I did to tick her off!? An early spring followed by a hard freeze, early freeze & rain, or unending rain, all seem to have much the same results--limited progress with the breeding program.

By the time my son gets back from vacation, I won't even be able to find the garden!? When he would have mowed it rained!?

Back to bee pods.? For years I simply threw them away because I was of the impression that they were basically selfs, and things I'd read about selfs didn't impress me.? They were reported to produce throw backs to earlier generations.? Something I didn't feel I needed.?

The first year I was out here, my pod count was way down and I had lots of space!? Being a compulsive seed planter I kept the pods and planted the seed.? The bloom from one of those seed pods changed my mind.? Clearly something good happened there!? Then, I got the seedlings from 1620-06 x bee!? Now I stand in the garden and cheer on the bees!? They are clearly a smart bunch!?

I've had a lot more bee pods since the neighbor moved in the hive of bees.? They aren't as obvious?as the first swarm that hit my garden, but they are still active.? She had two hive and lost one.? Based on known factors, I can't help but believe many of these truly are bee pods!? On the other hand, I saw the giant bumbees working some plants that later produced pods.? The little black pollen stealers that Linda mentions weren't as obvious this year as in the past.? I don't think they liked all the rain either!?

So far, none of my lovely bee babies have rebloomed.?

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris
KY Zone 6