Re: HYB: self incompatibility

  • Subject: Re: HYB: self incompatibility
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:14:49 -0400

Not that I've noticed.

But most of the insects that I suspect of moving pollen around here are not honey or bumble bees - they are tiny little slithery things that don't seem to fly - little gray things, maybe tiny relatives of silverfish?; cucumber beetles; tiny little black winged whatsis bees; and, especially after the two years I diligently squashed every cucumber beetle I could find morning noon and evening, some kind of little black & red thing. Not a bee. A lot faster and more agile than cucumber beetle (so I haven't been able to squash them), but about the same size.

So I'm not thinking uv patches/colors etc are attracting them - they are ubiquitous, and the crawly ones aren't affected by rain, unless they just starve from lack of pollen.

< do you all see more bee pods on certain colors of irises?
Anner Whitehead
Richmnod VA USA>

Linda Mann