Re: HYB: pod ripening

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod ripening
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:37:51 -0400

Bill, I can't answer your questions, but would like to add some information that might be helpful to some newer pollen daubers.? I've friends that?have thrown away pods that did not reach full maturity in the garden.??Sad, and not necessary!??

As evidence I will submit cross # 2008.? This was made in 2005 and is a seedling x seedling cross.? The pod had been set for less than a full month.? Collected on June 11, but probably lost nutrition supply earlier.?? The pod?was pinned to the poster board in my office until it appeared to mature.? It seemed an eternity.? Sixty four seeds were collected, dried and planted with no expectation of seedlings.? I don't know the germination, off hand, but my records say I planted 24 seedlings from this cross!? One bloomed in late fall of 2008.? (one of my goals-almost)

<<What is the consensus of how many weeks from pollination to harvest
is average?>>

I can say that the average length of time from pollination to maturity varies with the season, but in general it seems to take less time to maturity than when I started in 1986.? My current garden is approximately 5 miles from that first location but it seems to be quiet different.? I have a security light here which figures into all things iris.?

Pods which set seem to be holding well at this point.? We're still getting more rain than usual for the season.? ?

Betty Wilkerson
KY Zone 6