Re: HYB: pod ripening

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod ripening
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:03:55 -0700 (PDT)

   >Pods which set seem to be holding well at this point.? We're still getting
more rain than usual for the season.? ?>

   Do seasons with more rainfall
usually indicate seed with any better viability or any greater quantity?
David

--- On Fri, 6/12/09, autmirislvr@aol.com <autmirislvr@aol.com>
wrote:

> From: autmirislvr@aol.com <autmirislvr@aol.com>
> Subject: Re:
[iris] HYB: pod ripening
> To: iris@hort.net
> Date: Friday, June 12, 2009,
9:37 AM
> Bill, I can't answer your questions,
> but would like to add some
information that might be helpful
> to some newer pollen daubers.? I've
friends that?have thrown
> away pods that did not reach full maturity in the

garden.??Sad, and not necessary!??

> As evidence I will submit cross #
2008.? This was made in
> 2005 and is a seedling x seedling cross.? The pod
had been
> set for less than a full month.? Collected on June 11, but

probably lost nutrition supply earlier.?? The pod?was pinned
> to the poster
board in my office until it appeared to
> mature.? It seemed an eternity.?
Sixty four seeds were
> collected, dried and planted with no expectation of

seedlings.? I don't know the germination, off hand, but my
> records say I
planted 24 seedlings from this cross!? One
> bloomed in late fall of 2008.?
(one of my goals-almost)

> <<What is the consensus of how many weeks
from
> pollination to harvest
> is average?>>
>
> I can say that the average
length of time from pollination
> to maturity varies with the season, but in
general it seems
> to take less time to maturity than when I started in 1986.?
> My current garden is approximately 5 miles from that first
> location but it
seems to be quiet different.? I have a
> security light here which figures
into all things iris.?

> Pods which set seem to be holding well at this
point.?
> We're still getting more rain than usual for the season.? ?

Betty Wilkerson

Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
8:56 pm
> Subject: [iris] HYB: pod ripening
>

> I am sure this has been
discussed before, but I am curious
> if any of you have
> looked at
germination rates as related to stage of pod
> development at harvest.
> In
other words, do seeds from pods left on the plant until
> the stalk dries and
> the pod is minutes from opening on its own germinate better
> than those

harvested from still green pods on healthy stalks, just as
> they begin to
'look