Re: HYB: pod ripening

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod ripening
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:12:41 -0700 (PDT)

   I work with guppies too, Moscows; using full blacks back to my blues at the
moment. I have also found that too clean of a tank is no good. I was used to
keeping a super clean cichlid tank prior and letting a tank go a week without
cleaning is about more than I stand with the guppies. LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/Indiana_Gardener/Guppies/best-male-7-19
-2008.jpg

   The sun and breezes have returned here. Maybe the pods will be
ok.

   It was mentioned in an earlier thread here that higher germination
rates can be obtained by stratifying the seeds in the fridge and then
planting, vs. planting them outdoors to begin with. Approximately what
duration of time should there be between harvesting the seed, placing in the
fridge, and then planting?
Thanks!

David

--- On Fri,
6/12/09, autmirislvr@aol.com <autmirislvr@aol.com> wrote:

> From:
autmirislvr@aol.com <autmirislvr@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: pod
ripening
> To: iris@hort.net
> Date: Friday, June 12, 2009, 4:45 PM
>   << Do
seasons with more
> rainfall usually indicate seed with any better viability
or
> any greater quantity?>>
>
> David,
>
> My part of KY typically has high
humidity and lots of cloud
> cover.? These are conditions that encourage rot
of the
> stalks and, in some cases, even the pods.? Early?this
> season, the
pods were rotting off about as fast as they
> took.? I get a lot of wind so
the pods and stalks are drying
> much faster now that the temperature has
risen.?

> As to quantity and quality of seed, I have always thought

healthy plants produce healthy seed.? I don't know how to
> prove this theory
since there are so many variable
> conditions.? There have been theories about
long lasting
> effects when the pod parent has been deprived, but I don't

know if there are any scientific studies.?

> One could set up conditions
where you have two stalks with
> the same cross, but in different locals.?
Feed & water
> one, but starve the other!? Follow the cross through for a

few generations.? (I'm getting to old to take this one on.)?

honestly couldn't tell that the drought seasons produced
> less seed.? Of
course, 2007 produced no seed here since the
> stalks were all frozen.? One
late cross took, only produced
> 15 seed, and none sprouted.? Not exactly
proof of anything.?

> My advice would be to take good care of your
breeding
> stock,?just don't kill them with love, and hope for the
> best.? I
worked with guppies before I started with irises.?
> I messed with them too
much and kept the tanks too clean.? I
> killed several fish before I learned
my lesson.? Did the
> same thing for a year or two with the irises.??In my
area,
> too much attention kills them quicker than neglect.?
>
> Betty W.

KY Zone 6?

<greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
am
> Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: pod ripening
>

>    >Pods which set seem
to be holding
> well at this point.? We're still getting
> more rain than
usual for the season.? ?>

<autmirislvr@aol.com>
iris@hort.net
> > Date: Friday, June 12, 2009,
> 9:37 AM
> > Bill, I can't
answer your questions,
> > but would like to add some
> information that might
be helpful
> > to some newer pollen daubers.? I've
> friends that?have thrown
> > away pods that did not reach full maturity in the
> >
> garden.??Sad, and
not necessary!??

> > As evidence I will submit cross #
> 2008.? This was
made in
> > 2005 and is a seedling x seedling cross.? The pod
> had been

set for less than a full month.? Collected on June 11,
> but
> >
> probably
lost nutrition supply earlier.?? The pod?was
> pinned
> > to the poster

board in my office until it appeared to
> > mature.? It seemed an eternity.?

Sixty four seeds were
> > collected, dried and planted with no expectation of
> >
> seedlings.? I don't know the germination, off hand, but my
> > records
say I
> planted 24 seedlings from this cross!? One
> > bloomed in late fall of
2008.?
> (one of my goals-almost)
> >

> > <<What is the consensus
of how many weeks
> from
> > pollination to harvest
> > is average?>>

I can say that the average
> length of time from pollination
> > to maturity
varies with the season, but in
> general it seems
> > to take less time to
maturity than when I started in
> 1986.?
> > My current garden is
approximately 5 miles from that
> first
> > location but it
> seems to be
quiet different.? I have a
> > security light here which figures
> into all
things iris.?

> > Pods which set seem to be holding well at this

point.?
> > We're still getting more rain than usual for the
> season.? ?
> >

> Betty Wilkerson
> > KY Zone 6

Thu, 11 Ju
> n 2009
> 8:56 pm
> > Subject: [iris] HYB: pod ripening
> >

> > I am sure this has been
> discussed before, but I am curious
> > if
any of you have
> > looked at
> germination rates as related to stage of pod
>
> development at harvest.
> > In
> other words, do seeds from pods left on the
plant until
> > the stalk dries and
> > the pod is minutes from opening on its
own germinate