Re: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

   For over a yr I have been experimenting with Lilium auratum seeds. I sowed
50 outdoors in a pot set in the ground for winter and I placed another 50 in
the fridge. I don't know an exact count, but just visually looking at the two
pots when they all had leaves, the indoor bunch had time and a half the
density. Maybe I should do the indoor method with any iris seeds that develop.

--- On Fri, 6/12/09, Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
> Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: pod
> To: iris@hort.net
> Date: Friday, June 12, 2009, 7:14
> David, that's only true for some of
> us.  If you are germinating seeds
outdoors and you have
> reasonably consistent weather, outdoor germination
seems to
> work well.
> But if you are either in a season or microclimate
or the
> kind of care you can give outdoor pots results in
> temperature and
rainfall all over the place during the
> winter, germination can be really
> Lots of discussion in the archives re: the "burrito" method
> and
variations for refrigeration to improve germination
> consistency. Duration of
chilling requirements varies from
> cross to cross.  Some folks dry, then
soak, then chill,
> others chill freshly shelled seeds, I just stick the whole
> pod in the fridge.  My TB crosses take 2 to 5 months of
> chilling, more or
> <   It was mentioned in an earlier thread
> here that higher
> rates can be obtained by stratifying the seeds in the
> fridge
and then
> planting, vs. planting them outdoors to begin with.
> Approximately
> duration of time should there be between harvesting the
> seed, placing
in the
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net