Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:19:33 -0400

The indoor method does give the opportunity for more uniform conditions, which can either be disastrous or beneficial, depending on whether conditions are uniformly bad or uniformly good, as Christian has observed with moisture & I have learned with germination temperature. ;-(

Too dry in the burritos isn't as bad as too wet. So far, I've "lost" three burritos in the fridge, three different years. Found them more than 6 months later (last week for the most recent one), dessicated. Soaked them about a week in daily changes of water, planted them, & had "normal" germination from the first two.

A big advantage for me is having seedlings big enough to line out before bloom season starts, so they get a good start before summer.

<Maybe I should do the indoor method with any iris seeds that develop.
David>

Linda Mann
TN