Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:08:40 -0400

Too hot or too cold at the wrong time are bad, but I don't have temperature data.

Too cold is maybe below 25oF? just as seeds are about to sprout; too hot - don't know, but I worry above 70oF - if they do sprout, they are more likely to damp off or fizzle.

After having burrito bags occasionally freeze in the fridge, I've set it higher to make sure it always stays above freezing. Seems to be better germ that way. After planting, try to keep seeds below 60oF, preferably in the 40s at night, no higher than 70 during the day.

Maybe others will comment - I haven't checked the archives, but seems like Vickie Craig posted something about germination temperatures for SDBs?

There's some combination of warmth and drying conditions that stops? slows down? germination in spring - used to think it was just warmth, but this spring, all the rain, or maybe the genetic mix (Oz & CA genes) kept things sprouting later/warmer than usual. Or maybe the maximum was lower. Don't know.

Some seeds germinate at refrig temps - 40oF? Mary Lou has seeds in the fridge germinating after 2 yrs there (I think)!

<What temperatures have you found to be good or bad? David>

Not much good information - hope that helps.

Linda Mann
TN