Re: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:14:03 -0700 (PDT)

   Sounds like after a period in the fridge that germination time in the bird
room in the barn (50-55:F) should be perfect.

On Sun, 6/14/09, Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com> wrote:

> From: Linda Mann
> Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
> Date: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 5:08 PM
> Too hot or too cold at
the wrong time
> are bad, but I don't have temperature data.
> Too cold is
maybe below 25oF? just as seeds are about to
> sprout; too hot - don't know,
but I worry above 70oF - if
> they do sprout, they are more likely to damp off
or fizzle.
> After having burrito bags occasionally freeze in the
> fridge,
I've set it higher to make sure it always stays
> above freezing.  Seems to be
better germ that
> way.  After planting, try to keep seeds below 60oF,
preferably in the 40s at night, no higher than 70 during the
> day.
> Maybe
others will comment - I haven't checked the archives,
> but seems like Vickie
Craig  posted something about
> germination temperatures for SDBs?
There's some combination of warmth and drying conditions
> that stops? slows
down? germination in spring - used to
> think it was just warmth, but this
spring, all the rain, or
> maybe the genetic mix (Oz & CA genes) kept things
sprouting later/warmer than usual.  Or maybe the
> maximum was lower.  Don't
> Some seeds germinate at refrig temps - 40oF?  Mary Lou
> has seeds
in the fridge germinating after 2 yrs there (I
> think)!
> <What
temperatures have you found to be good or bad?
> David>
> Not much good
information - hope that helps.
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net