Re: Re:Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

  • Subject: Re: Re:Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 04:45:08 -0700 (PDT)

   Do you allow the seeds to fully dry after harvesting the pod and store them
away until a desired planting time or sow them immediately?

   I have a
fridge in my barn too, but during the winter it freezes in it unless there is
a light kept on in it. Seeds would probably be better off in my house fridge.
David

--- On Tue, 6/16/09, irischapman@aim.com

<irischapman@aim.com>

To: iris@hort.net
> Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 11:09 PM
> I have 'hatched"
seeds many times in
> a fridge over summer. Normal fridge temperature. These
are
> planted flats of seeds that didn't germinate over winter.
> Inevitably
the seeds are germinating after  three
> months at this temperature, as long
as they didn't dry out.
> They start to germinate in fridge.
>
> Great
germination this past winter in cold room in
> garage.  I had a small space
heater on low to kkep them
> from freezing. the ones that dried out didn't
germinate well
> and are now in barn fidge.
>
> Worst germination ever was
when I had seeds in cold
> greenhouse. The high temperatures resulted in very
low
> levels of germination.
>
> Chuck Chapman
>

> Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009
17:08:40 -0400
> From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
> Subject: [iris] Re:
HYB: pod ripening/germination

> Too hot or too cold at the wrong time are
bad, but I don't
> have
> temperature data.
>
> Too cold is maybe below 25oF?
just as seeds are about to
> sprout; too hot
> - - don't know, but I worry
above 70oF - if they do sprout,
> they are more
> likely to damp off or
fizzle.

> After having burrito bags occasionally freeze in the
> fridge,
I've set it
> higher to make sure it always stays above freezing.
> Seems to
be better
> germ that way.  After planting, try to keep seeds
> below 60oF,
preferably
> in the 40s at night, no higher than 70 during the day.
>
> Maybe
others will comment - I haven't checked the archives,
> but seems
> like
Vickie Craig  posted something about germination
> temperatures for SDBs?

There's some combination of warmth and drying conditions
> that stops?
> slows
down? germination in spring - used to think it was
> just warmth,
> but this
spring, all the rain, or maybe the genetic mix (Oz
> & CA genes)
> kept things
sprouting later/warmer than usual.  Or
> maybe the maximum was
> lower.  Don't
know.

> Some seeds germinate at refrig temps - 40oF?  Mary Lou
> has seeds
in the
> fridge germinating after 2 yrs there (I think)!
>
> <What
temperatures have you found to be good or bad?
> David>
>
> Not much good
information - hope that helps.