Re: Re:Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

  • Subject: Re: Re:Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:06:52 -0700 (PDT)

David,

I'm basically lazy.  I harvest my pods green, because I want them when
I want them not when they're "ready".  I don't dry them out, because then I
would have to go all the trouble to soak them before they would germinate.
The trouble with the seeds is, they didn't read the book.  If the book says
soak for seven days then that cross will want ten days of soaking.  If the
book says they will germinate after two months of cold, then that cross will
want four months of cold.  That basically means that if you try to manage your
seeds so that they will germinate at just such and such a time then they won't
cooperate with the plan.

I harvest green pods, put them in burritoes (with
8cc of water) and put them in the fridge.  I thought that just leaving them at
crisper drawer temps until they germinated was the ticket.  Unfortunately, it
now appears that my data was suspect, apparently the fridge was broken and
occasionally warming.

Christian