Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

In a message dated 6/18/2009 2:07:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jbruce1@cinci.rr.com writes:

I don't  know why everyone goes to all this trouble for iris  seeds

I, too, am wondering about some of this.

I don't hybridize irises, but I do grow Iris species when I can get  seed
that interests me, and I am rocking a couple of personal  lines of Helleborus
xhybridus involving a white anemone form and a dull  slate amethyst, so
that I can empathize with those who wish to  coddle an inspired or difficult
Iris cross. I am also a student of seeds,  generally, so the mechanics of
these matters interest me, and I have studied  them.

People who must work around certain climate infelicities have my  sympathy
and support in their experiments, although I believe that, in  general, the
best course is to employ as few artificial procedures as possible,  and let
the survival tests begin when the seed hits the soil.

All this said, I believe some of what I am hearing here  is overkill, and
quite possibly downright unsound. You  cannot conjure a good plant into
being, you can't will it, you must  grow it, and my experience supports the
notion that the best way to do  this is to respect the rhythms and processes of
nature at the  macrocosmic level, while being patient, observant, mindful,
nurturing,  and to a reasonable extent situationally protective, at the
microcosmic  level.

I mean, really, what's up next? Sacrificing a black cat in a chalk  circle?

All disclaimers apply. Your mileage may vary.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA Zone 7

**************Dell Days of Deals! June 15-24 - A New Deal Everyday!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222677718x1201465083/aol?redir=http:%2F%2F
ad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215692163%3B38015526%3Be)