Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 07:22:02 -0400

One more thing to consider, David - some bearded iris seeds germinate with very little (no?) chilling. In the mixes of TBs I'm working with, experience has taught me that none will germinate in less than 2 months in the fridge.

So if you plop the entire pod into a baggie, you won't be able to see any seeds that might sprout before you shell them.

There are two types of dormancy present in bearded iris seeds - those soluble in water (that's what the soaking is for, not to rehydrate the seeds), and those that are removed by chilling.

My understanding is that fresh seeds (those that aren't dried) don't develop any water soluble germination inhibitors. Seems to be true - others have that experience & seeds have germinated in the fridge here without soaking when I've put the entire pod in the fridge before it splits and seeds start to dry.

Rumors that seeds from TBs (in California?) will germinate fresh out of the pod, but every time I've asked for details, nobody says anything. No idea what the germination conditions are or what the genetic mix is.

<Thanks, Linda! I think that's what I'll do then given the outcomes with the
lilium seeds I tried each way. I know lilium and iris may be like comparing
apples and oranges, but I'll give them a try that way. If it doesn't work for
me, there's always the next yr.>

Linda Mann
TN
PS good idea to always include your location in your signature - growing conditions vary so much for irises.