HYB: germination data-terms

  • Subject: HYB: germination data-terms
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:33:53 -0700 (PDT)

I've been following the recent thread about germination processes.  This year is no different from any other year I can remember.

I feel I must stamp my foot and scowl for a moment.  We are not being specific with our terminology, and as a result some of the data that is being offered is corrupted.

A few stalwart souls who are planting their seeds directly outside are reporting "germination" rates, but this is inaccurate.  If the germination rate is being calculated based upon the number of green seedlings detected at the soil surface this is not technically a germination rate.  Rather this is the number of seedlings which both germinated AND survived to that level of maturity.

If we are comparing that data to data on burrito germination, which is presumably a count of the number of seeds that actually produced a root sprout, then we are comparing apples to oranges.  Arguably, if they don't emerge above ground  there is no value in the seed
either way, but I'm only arguing that it is a different data set.

I think there is value in both sets of data.  I just want to note that there is a difference between a seed that has not germinated (yet) and a seed that germinated but failed before the plant was detected above ground.

christian