Re: HYB: germination data-terms

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination data-terms
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:09:26 -0400

The germination of a seed and the plant that results is the only thing that really matters. A seed that tried to germinate and failed is what it is, a failure. It only tried.

My goal is to germinate seedlings, not collect data of no use. For the last few years I have been burying my pots in the ground. This has giving me lots better averages. I believe the pots above ground had seeds try to germinate early and were frozen. The ground kept the temperatures from varying as much. I found may seeds that were mushy.

The point I tried to make about the ones planted in late March was they had less than a month to chill.

A couple years ago I froze a bunch of seeds for 3 months and planted in March. They did not germinate very well, less than 10%. The next year they did a lot better. Now I get enough I don't save any of the pots for a second year.

( A few stalwart souls who are planting their seeds directly outside) My guess is about 95% of the hybredizers.

Mike Greenfield

----- Original Message ----- From: "christian foster" <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>