Re: HYB: germination data - terms

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination data - terms
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:24:23 -0400

Good point, Christian, and not the first time you've reminded us.  ;-)

I've been using "germination" to mean emergence of green leaves. Which is only slightly less than 100% of the seeds that germinate, at least with the indoor fussing around. I suspect it was <much> lower with outdoor planting here.

However, my guess is that most people are not not looking at seeds germinate, then later watching sprouts come up. As Mike says re: planting seeds directly outside "My guess is about 95% of the hybredizers. Mike Greenfield", I'll bet they usually use the word "germination" to refer to sprouts above ground. Is there another word to describe "green sprouts above ground"?

<I just want to note that there is a difference between a seed that has not germinated (yet) and a seed that germinated but failed before the plant was detected above ground.

christian>