Re: Re: HYB: pod ripening/germination

Hi Linda,

Fred Kerr told me that Ben Hager planted fresh seeds in an old boat filled
with sand on the north side of his shed under a tree (constant shade). Also
Bernard Hamner planted fresh seed using a similar method in Riverside, Ca.,
where temperatures exceed 105 degrees in the summer. I haven't found anyone
currently living who still
uses this method, so I'm experimenting with it.

Later this summer I'll be removing the germ from the seed and sprouting it in
my laminar flow bench. My understanding is that the germ will grow
I'm sure this will be a tedious process, but I want to study transferring
sprouts from a sterile environment to nature, and determine the kill rate.
With these
experiments I plan to use chemicals to reduce the wilt off in preparation for
later experiments.

Alex Stanton
Stanton Iris Gardens

Compete with the big boys.  Click here to find products to benefit your