Re:HYB: germination data-terms

  • Subject: Re:HYB: germination data-terms
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:39:30 -0400

Could you provide some info on when your seeds germinate. You say less then a month, so does that mean you see first seedling at the end of April, or that all seeds have germinated at that time? Personn ally I would have expected late May.

Typically I see seeds germinate over several weeks. That is between first seed and last seed that germinates in a tray there is usually a week or two.

Freezing seeds doesn't seem to do anything to help seeds germinate. The cumulated hours of chilling does. I'm sure this varies from seeds to seeds. I have had some seeds germinate within a week of going into fridge for chilling , in damp peat moss after going through soaking and rinsing for 5-7 days. Chilling temeratures are typically between 0-12C, with apparent best temp between 3-10C . Same results for "stratification" of seeds as for 'Vernalization" of plants. Lots of research on this.

There appears to be photoperiod dormant iris plants and cold period dornmant iris plants. Seeds from these two types may very well have different tempature chilling requirements.

Chuck Chapman