Re: Re:HYB: germination data-terms

  • Subject: Re: Re:HYB: germination data-terms
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:53:47 -0400

Chuck I planted the seeds in late March. Middle of the 3rd week? They started showing leaves the last week of April, as mine did. There were 9 crosses and not my seeds. Planted them for a friend. He was still getting new ones in early June, rare here. Mine quit in the 3 week of May. I did water them at least every day the first week. Sprouting was normal for mine this year.

With several weeks to sprout how can some one determine the strongest growers? I see the first ones are always bigger than later ones. I plant mine in small pots or 20oz Styrofoam cups when they get about 1 1/2 " tall. I do not see which ones are weak. By the next spring I can. The weakest ones either die by then or are small. They are destroyed.

I plant them in a raised beds ( 2 beds) 14' X 50" 80 seedlings per bed. 10" X 10" for each seedling. I get 60% to 75% bloom the first year . Photo of one bed in bloom http://tinypic.com/r/dpbk2c/5

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b
SW Ohio