Re: Re:HYB: germination data-terms

  • Subject: Re: Re:HYB: germination data-terms
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:12:36 -0400

<<Typically I see seeds germinate over several weeks. That is between
first seed and last seed that germinates in a tray there is usually a
week or two.>>

In my gardens, in KY, zone 6, I've noticed that all seedlings,
regardless of genetics, sprout over a period of one month. This drew my
attention years ago, and I've made notes of first sprout in all pots.

If I see the first sprout on March 15, there will be no first sprouts
after April 15. Or if the first sprout doesn't show until April 1, then
May 1 is the final date. Most of the sprouts appear approximately 10
days after the first sprout, depending on the weather.

For years I did count seedlings periodically and I'm of the impression
that no seeds typically sprout outside this perimeter, BUT I admit that
I tend to quit counting (and making notes) as the season gets busier.
I've had the occasional summer or fall sprout, but they are definitely
rare over 20+ years. I've made no notes as to the weather conditions at
the time.

I plant outdoors in pots. Like Mike, in the years when I placed the
pots in trenches, the germination was higher, often close to 100%. In
addition to the temperature regulation, I theorized that the pots
stayed more moist which aided in germination. I can no longer dig the
trenches. Placing mulch over the pots aids in regulating both of these
conditions. The tannic acid in oak leaves may help wi
th the leaching of
inhibitors, too. (not a chemist so this is a guess.) The main purpose
of the mulch cover is to regulate the beating effect of the rain.

In recent years, I"ve tried to place my pots where they get half a day
of shade, in hopes of slowing down germination by keeping the soil
cooler and limiting the drying of the pots. I place them on several
layers of black plastic. Water tends to pond on the plastic.

For those that want to go with mother nature but don't choose to brave
the archives.

Betty W.
Bridge In Time Irises
KY Zone 6