Re:HYB: germination data-terms

  • Subject: Re:HYB: germination data-terms
  • From: "John Bruce" <jbruce1@cinci.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 01:25:16 -0400

Okay, I have continued to follow this thread. I do not mean at all to be contrary.

Where did the idea that iris seeds need chilling to germinate originate? I know that some seeds require chilling, others require sowing on top of the ground, others (as in the case of some prairie grasses) seem to germinate after a fire.

As I said in an earlier post, the last few years have yielded the same germination rates with little or no chill as the seeds I had planted in early winter. And in this case I speak of viable plants...a seed producing a root and dying before leaves emerge is of no value to a hybridizer. An interesting statistic perhaps. The seeds here may have gotten a weeks' worth of chilling, but certainly not the amount that the "conventional wisdom" says is necessary. As far as chilling goes, anyone familiar with wesst coast weather would have to doubt that chilling is necessary....Ghio is near San Jose, Suttons are in Porterville, and there are several other well known iris breeders who live in frost free areas.

Yes, there are those who live in microclimates who may need to burrito treat seeds. However I am guessing these are the exception rather than the rule. But I have watched the discussions of these intensive methods to get seedlings for those in climate challenged areas grow into a method that many newcomers (and remember the lurkers probably outnumber posters at least 100 to 1) think is an absolute necessity regardless of climate. I fear that many may never try to grow irises from seeds because they simply do not want to go through all the fuss. So from time to time I do like to interject the concept that it is not
necessary for the lion's share of climates and newbie hybridizers.

John Bruce
zone 5b, SW Ohio