Re: Re:HYB: germination data-terms

  • Subject: Re: Re:HYB: germination data-terms
  • From: Anita Moran <avmoran1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:47:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I lived in the San Joaquin Valley just south of Porterville, and I can guarantee that there are enough cold days in the winter to stratify the seeds especially if they are left out of the ground but that is chancy since there is a broad range of temperatures even in the summer.  San Jose not to familiar with but would expect even cooler temps since it is closer to the coast but perhaps not freezing temps.  Perhaps Iris seeds require fewer chilled days depending on their size.  We had a warm winter once here in Maryland with very few really cold temp days.  That spring I had about the same germination Except for the most part the SDB seedlings produced.  I had several SDB pots that produced no seedlings and I left them in the ground.  The following year after a normal winter theseSDB pots were near bursting with seedlings.