Re:HYB: germination data

  • Subject: Re:HYB: germination data
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:29:32 -0400

Anner has posted some of Dino (name?) research that found fluctuating temperatures during stratification (i.e., nature's way) resulted in better germination than constant temp of refrigeration. I think that's what she said.

I wonder not just about the genetics of the seeds, but environmental effects during seed set, development, and maturation. Some stuff I dug up awhile back indicated that, at least for some kinds of plants, those conditions also have an effect on dormancy.

Seems like it was temperature and moisture availability - can't remember for sure. I think I posted. Probably impossible to dig out of the archives unless I thought to include some unique identifying words to use. Which I don't remember now...

<Leaves me wondering about variation in stratification needs based on
genetics of seeds.
As stated before, best germination in solid and amoena and bitone.
Worst germination ones invariably seemed to be  plicata crosses.

Chuck Chapman>

Linda Mann
TN