Re: HYB: germination data - no chill

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination data - no chill
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:44:26 -0400

Thanks Francelle.

Do you know (or can you guess) overnight low soil temperature at the depth you planted the seeds?

I've always heard that air temperatures can get quite cool at night in low humidity climates compared to ours, but have no idea how the soil temperature might respond. I assume the surface of the soil gets quite hot during the day in your intense sun, but maybe it's reflective enough to keep the seeds from heating up too much?

<Linda, I once tried planting seeds right out of the pod into the ground.  I
planted them in a circle around the mother clump.  Eleven of thirty six
seeds germinated, but none survived the hot summer.  I never tried it again,
but in a cooler climate, it might work.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9>