Re: HYB: germination - "no" chill

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination - "no" chill
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:45:14 -0400

John, from what was posted here previously (assuming I remember right), the temperature required for removing germination inhibitors is below 40oF. Once temperatures drop (much?) below freezing, the process stops. So seeds could stay frozen for a long time and still need the chilling hours.

This is probably the primary reason I've had so much trouble with outdoor germination here - seeds can easily meet chilling requirements (especially those that don't require more than a month or so!) by midwinter, then try to germinate in the first warm spell in January, Feb, or early Mar, only to experience low teens F shortly after. Zap.

Do you know how many days with at least night temperatures below 40oF your spring planted seeds experienced before germinating?

Good point to share about controlled climate germination now and then - only those of us who have experienced problems with or are curious to learn more about the process of germination etc are likely to want to bother.