HYB: Germination Philosophies

John Bruce:

I fear that  many may never try to grow irises from seeds because they
simply do not  want to go through all the fuss. So from time to time I do like
to interject  the concept that it is not necessary for the lion's share of
climates and  newbie hybridizers.

What I'm concerned with is the amount of  information that does not seem
horticulturally sound. There is  more to this than just getting the things to
germinate; you also want to produce  a strong viable plant, right from the
get go.

Even though most of the  seeds we are speaking of here are --I assume-- the
issue of modern hybrid  bearded irises, complex entities genetically-- or
so we are always told-- there  is more involved than some discoverable
formula. Adequate attention  must also be given to the emerging plant's need for a
suitable growing  environment; for space to develop; for fresh air passing
over it; for  laving by rain; for periods of darkness; and for the light of
the sun.  You can simulate some of this, sure, but only so well, and for
only so  long.

Bluntly, I think some of what one hears is unnecessary, and  quite likely
to prove counterproductive in both the short and the long  run. Indeed, I
suspect some of the success stories are  testaments less to the cunning of the
germinator, than to  the vitality of the seeds. Clearly, some seeds can
overcome  almost any amount of abuse, and still germinate.

Enthusiastic beginners often want to fuss and elaborate, yes, but,  if I
may, I suggest a reasonable way to proceed is to try the  simple way first.
Then, if problems arise, do a little research and  devise some appropriate
site-specific means of solving them. Such  problems could be anything from mice
to no germination --which can be genetic,  of course.

I like to sow my seeds on 100% organic medium in deep pots and  leave them
outside over the winter. I like pots because I can put them on  the deck and
keep an eye on them. I had a site-specific mouse problem. I  sow on
Thanksgiving Day, and I expect action about the same time everything else  in the
garden is up and moving in the spring.

As an aside, let me say I think the definition of germination  shared here
by Anita is written the way it is to subsume both the  epigeal and the
hypogeal modalities.

Cordially,

Anner  Whitehead
Richmond VA USA  Zone 7