Re: HYB: germination - "no" chill

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination - "no" chill
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:51:09 -0400

Thanks for the details, John! Interesting. Not "no" chill, but close to it, esp compared to the 5 months some of my crosses require.

With outdoor pots here, I'm not sure what state the seeds are in right before germination, but lots of green shoots show up during periods of overcast when night temperatures are closer to day temps, ~50 to 70oF.
Mine are nearly all TBs.

Maybe the amount of rinsing dried seeds require varies amongst cultivars?

Maybe the water soluble germination inhibitors break down or somehow lose effectiveness when wet, whether they are "rinsed" away or not?

Or maybe some of those outdoor seeds just rotted & would have regardless of how wet they were. Occasionally, pods here contain seeds that look normal, but do rot without germinating. Always wonder why...

<Looking back over the archived climate data for the period between planting and getting green shoots, there were a total of 14 nights with temps between 33 and 40 degrees. Most of those were in the first two weeks of the 6 week period. 4 were in the second two weeks and 3 in the final two weeks. The total rainfall for the period was 5 inches, with the bulk of the days being measured less than .05", and 14 days with .20" to .66". We dipped from above 40 to below 31 degrees 8 times during those six weeks. The interesting change was the week before sprouts started appearing. In those 7 days there was no rain, and nighttime temps were steady in the range of 59-64 degrees. The 2 weeks prior to that had temps hovering at 43 +/- 2 degrees with two nights at 54, and two at 38. Note that the temps represent lows, not averages for the nights...that is to say on a 40 degree night it may have only reached 40 for an hour or so. And while moisture was constant, I would not call it copious. I had always heard you needed vast quantities of water to leach out inhibitors. I believe that may be why I had such poor germination back in the mid 90s...I watered daily only to have few sprouts and many empty seed husks. >