HYB:Germination, chilling and California

  • Subject: HYB:Germination, chilling and California
  • From: chad schroter <charlesschroter@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:30:16 -0700 (PDT)

My 2cents worth,

I am in Los Gatos, CA  a very mild zone 9.
I have germinated both bearded and Siberian iris well without refrigeration.
I have planted seeds singly in individual cells and together in 1 gallon pots with equal success.
I have had seeds outside all winter or inside my unheated greenhouse - no difference.
I have planted the seeds early and had some germinate in the fall, but they don't really grow much during the winter.
I have planted late (Feb. -March) and had normal germination.
I mostly get bloom the Spring after planting out.
I have not had any success with Aril seed...
Siberians bloom very short here...

whatever floats your boat :)

Chad Schroter