Re: HYB: pod size vs. seed quantity

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod size vs. seed quantity
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:41:39 -0400

David, my experience is that shorter pods have fewer seeds, but not much relationship between pod diameter and number of seeds, except maybe with the really small ones.

# viable seeds (those that go on to make seedlings) here ranges from (ignoring the empty ones) 1 to ... I forget - 90 something? A normal length, full pod usually has 50 or 60 seeds here, average pod has around 40 or so. Often quite a few with 20 or less. I think the average is quite a bit higher in good growing conditions.

Seed size varies a lot too. Don't throw out the tiny ones. If there is a hard little kernel in there, it may be ok.

<There is a lot of variability with pods on the same stalk. Some are like the end of my pinkie finger and others are larger than both thumbs together. That's going to be disappointing if it's just thick walls.
David IN z5b>