Re: HYB: germination - chill time

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination - chill time
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:52:52 -0400

I would suggest shelling  or just leaving unshelled pod untill you have
time to shell. Then place in your buritto. Or in some damp peat moss,
which seems to acelerate germination. Scientifically tested, as well as
personal experience. Time sitting dry, especailly at room temperature
seems to reduce chilling needs, when subsequently moistened and
chilled. So not a problem sitting dry. Decaying seed pod could very
well damage seeds, with increased bacteria etc. Personally I'd rather
shell a dry pod then remove a rotten squishy and smelly decayed pod.
Then have to wash seeds after.

The extra time ( that is five months versus 3 months)  could only be
beneficiall from extra removal of seed inhibitor, which could be
acomplished by periodic washing/rincing of damp seeds.  No befits of
extra chilling hours.

You have to realize that chilling in nature is in cold periods , no
accumulated hours during frozen time ( actually some experiments
showing some chilling accumulated in some species at -2C, but not clear
if this is selected species or in all situations, but at a much slower
rated then at optimum chilling temps of 3-10C)  There is nothing in
nature that would be equivalent to 5 months of chilling. That would be
five month of winter with no frozen time of any significace. Just
doesn't happen anywhere. So the five months is an artifact of your
method.

I just checked my temp records here.  Six months available for chilling
temps in a regular winter. Ground frozen for close to three of those
months. Leaving about 3 months of chilling  available.  In slightly
warmer areas there may actually be a higher percentage of winter time
available for chilling, but shorter time periods available.

Chuck Chapman