Re: Re: HYB: germination - chill time

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: germination - chill time
  • From: chatowhitehall@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:57:03 -0400

Anner has suggested, I think,?
based on Demo

Dr. Norman Deno.

I suggest?all parties?read the above.??

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Mon, Jun 29, 2009 10:12 am
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: germination - chill time

(oops - sent to photos, try again)?
? Chuck, I always value your thoughts and experience with these things,?
& without more data, I'm hesitant to disagree.?
Oh - who am I kidding, I'm not at all hesitant ;-)?
Air drying at room temperature results in <less> chilling requirement to?
remove germination inhibitors? I'd read somewhere that drying results?
in <increased> production of water soluble germination inhibitors (which?
are really easy to get rid of), but hadn't heard that drying <reduced>?
time required for chilling. Or missed it somehow. It seems to?
contradict the experiences others have reported of getting immediate?
germination of undried seeds without <any> chilling. But like you say,?
that may be a totally different gene pool from the TBs we can grow in?
our climate.?
My impression is that I'm getting faster turnaround without drying seeds?
first. Most crosses germinate first flush after about three months in?
the fridge, some after only two months, with no noticeable difference?
between those dried, soaked, then burrito'd vs those straight into the?
fridge fresh, shelled & burrito'd or not.?
Except that those that are dried, shelled, soaked obviously get into the?
fridge several weeks <later> than those that go into the fridge fresh.?
Late June/early July vs early late July/early Aug. For me, those few?
weeks can make a <big> difference in whether or not they are big enough?
to line out before hectic, allergic spring bloom season starts.?
Second flush might or might not be big enough that early, and 3rd flush,?
coincident with "normal" outdoor germination is not big enough by then,?
so usually stay in pots here till early fall & take another year to?
bloom size.?
I agree completely that rinsing goop covered seeds from decomposing pods?
is less enjoyable than shelling nice dry pods!!?
I'm definitely <not> suggesting this method to anybody, only sharing my?
experiences with it.?
Chuck, any thoughts about what's going on with those seeds in those 2 to?
4 weeks between flushes of germination? Anner has suggested, I think,?
based on Demo, that the amount of time they are spending at room?
temperature as we rummage thru the burritos looking for germinating?
seeds is enough to trigger the next wave of germinants, with or without?
more chilling. Subsequent sprouting takes a few weeks.?
<I would suggest shelling or just leaving unshelled pod until you have?
time to shell. Then place in your burito. Or in some damp peat moss,?
which seems to accelerate germination. Scientifically tested, as well as?
personal experience. >?
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the?
message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS?