Re: Re: HYB: germination - chill time

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: germination - chill time
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:35:29 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I'm sure Chuck will respond about the same way but I believe the "air drying" Chuck is referrring to (quote below) is extended drying and holding at room temperature, not the intial drying before placing in stratification.  That is documented in some species to occur, referring to Deno's publication.  Air drying is not the same thing necessarily as holding at room temperature.

Also,if we were to follow the "Happens in Nature Approach" mentioned earlier... in Nature there is the inital drying down that induces a response to produce germination inhibitors (i.e. Summer) which would then be followed by a a Fall with no chilling days and then Winter and then the process starts.  If it were a wet Summer or climate/microclimate that would allow the seed to not dry down maybe get some growth in before freezing (i.e. more southern regions).

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN  Zone 5