Re: HYB: germination - chill time

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination - chill time
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:15:22 -0400

It may, but I suspect that it may not do that completely. I'm planting my seeds now (1,700 seedlings planted yesterday), and some of the last ones planted had 10 or more days of soaking and rincing, and there doesn't seem to be any difference between germination rates. Check with me later (like fall) when I can give you data. I counted all seeds so I can calculate germination rate. I note a few pods at close to 100%. One pod with 76 seeds had 61 plants germinate (80%). I'm smilling as I plant. with this many to choose from from a cross I have to get something worth keeping. In that cross I saw some hard seeds that hadn't germinated. They go at end of the section of germinated seeds, so I can get second winter germination on these few seeds .

I suspect that there may be other factors such as seed coat that contribute to this second year germination. Or perhaps freeze/thaw conditions

Linda, and others. The seed storage that reduces chill time would be in terms of months. I would like to try some experiments with iris seeds. The type of dormancy in pod parent may make a difference on this. There is research data showing that this can reduce chilling needs of seeds, but this soesn't mean all seeds aand all species. The data from John and Mike sugggest it can happen.

For all intense and purposes, I suspect two months of chilling in fridge is all that is needed. That is with seed previously soaked and rinsed. I find seeds germinating at three months, but that does not mean that they wouldn't germinate at two months. Research indicate an ideal germination temperatures of chilled damp seeds (stratified seeds) is 20c or about 68F. I was surprised at this datra, as I had thought it would have been lower. At 20C the germination rate was higher (and time to germination was lower) then at 16C and at 22C. So...... take seeds out of fridge after two months, or anytime after that, and plant them, and keep at room temperature, or at around 68F. The extra time in fridge is wasted time that could be spent growing the seeds.

As for seed storage in fridge. I plant seeds in flats and put flats into a fridge. But this is in spare fridge in barn, in summer. For damp seeds in fridge I recomend storing damp seeds in damp peat moss. It seems to break down seed coat and acceleratee germination. So seeds need to be check regularly. At two months remove from fridge and plant any that havn't previously germinated. Peat moss enables seeds to get oxygen. In a burrito, there is a possibity of suffocating seeds as they may not be able to get oxygen. Frequent rincing will enable burittoed seeds to get oxygen, but I think peat moss would be easier, and less work as it doesn't need frequent rincing.

The extra week or two to get into fridge will be payed back by less time to wash off rotted pods ,and to gets seeds germinating earlier, try above advice re germinating seeds.

Chuck Chapman