Re: HYB: traits passed on?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: traits passed on?
  • From: Jeffrey Walters <jeffwiris@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 06:27:32 -0700 (PDT)

Genetics is a subject that can get quite complicated really fast; and this is even more true with irises than animals or people, since modern TB irises (and most other classes of iris, too) are tetraploid (4 copies of genes at each gene locus)rather than diploid (2 copies) like humans and most animals.

If you did not design this cross for a specific purpose of combining particular gene effects as part of a long term breeding program rather than for some immediate result in the first generation offspring, or find some unique characteristics in the seedling itself that you would like to pass on to the next generation, I would say scrap it.

You can learn more about the genetics of iris breeding by referring to some standard source, such as the chapter on iris genetics in The World of Irises.

Jeff Walters
in upstate South Carolina
(USDA Zone 7b)