Cult: Buliding up sand...
  • Subject: Cult: Buliding up sand...
  • From: Adam Cordes <adambo_iris@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 08:07:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi friends!

I have a cousin who got some rhizomes from me, and they're not growing well.
She posted a photo on facebook, and it looks like there's some grass growing
in the garden, but it's not too tall.

Asking her what soil type she had for these now-two-year-old plantings, she
said SAND.

What is the most economical way to build up the plants for them to bloom next
year?  Would just supplementing water and pulling grass be enough, or should
there be some ammendments to the soil.  Could just some 10-10-10 fertilizer be
good enough?  Mulch between clumps? (Borers probably would go nuts with that
combined with the sand, though!)

Thanks for the help!