{iris} building up sandy soil
  • Subject: {iris} building up sandy soil
  • From: "Pat" <patciris@wmca.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:46:22 -0700

A major crop here in northern Nevada is mint. A lot of folks use the processed
mint leaves to build up the sandy soil. I have horses so I use horse manure.
My iris field is an abandoned corral. My iris clumps are big and healthy and I
have no issues with rot. I have problems with too much drainage but the
biggest issue is the drifting sand that the wind dumps on my rows. I remove
from 2 to 4 inches of sand off of the rhizomes at least four times a year.

Pat Canter
Winnemucca, NV