Re: iris DIGEST V1 #1460
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: iris DIGEST V1 #1460
  • From: chad schroter <charlesschroter@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:00:53 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,     I can only offer some negative advice :).   All crosses I have
tried to All Night Long or Hollywood Nights have not taken; which is a shame
since I think they have some of the best flower form.  When crossing Blacks
(similar to pinks), out crosses to other tones will rarely result in any
blacks (or pinks).

Midnight Oil was probably the darkest I have grown. It
blooms late for me and the flowers tended to burn up in the heat, probably
because of the color.  Make sure whatever cv you try are going to be in sync
bloom time wise with your other Iris.

Chad   Zone 9b
>________________________________
>
>Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: TB suggestions -
seeking

>Maybe some of the blacks from SUPERSTITION?  I just got a few of
them
>last year, can't evaluate them for you, thanks to weather this spring.
:-(

wrote:
>> Hi all! I've started dabbling with black irises and have a few cool
seedlings from a cross using Hello Darkness.
>> Does anyone have any recent
hybrids or established more recent TB black iris they'd be willing to share or
suggest I introduce into my program to help with branching and flower size?

Thanks!