Re: Breeding Blacks was iris DIGEST V1 #1460
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Breeding Blacks was iris DIGEST V1 #1460
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:06:42 -0400 (EDT)

Though I'd add my experience with blacks. For reasons I won't go into, I crossed my 'Vanishing Act' by 'Night Game.' VA is a white plicata with pale blue band on both falls & standards. NG is black. Most of the seedlings were pastel. Two were very dark purple. Nice irises, but not perfect. What they did have was height and branching. I crossed the best by another seedling. (Hello Darkness x Tara's Choice).

What I've got is a lot of strong dark, black or near black, seedlings. Some have red undertones and some have purple undertones. I don't know the full story yet due to the freeze damage. However, I can tell you that I did recapture the dark colors.

Sometimes it takes patience and taking the cross to the next generation. Chad, if you want that cross keep making it. If it's worth making, it's worth doing again.

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KYautmirislvr@aol.com